Tuesday, June 21, 2016

perfect pancakes

well according to food network that is. back in high school when i started this blog, i had a subscription to Cooking Light and Food Network. they were my go to for new, adventuresome, but not too adventuresome, recipes. as a result, i have a two inch binder chalk full of glossy magazine clippings with notes scrawled across them. i pulled this one for pancakes out to use up my leftover berries from my cantaloupe bowl. it's a simple recipe that is easy to add fun ingredients to the batter like oats, berries, chocolate-chips, nuts, granola, or cinnamon chips. the pancakes are fluffy and thick, but not too thick, and just about as quick as using a box mix. how could you go wrong? they are the perfect pancake after all.  

Perfect Pancakes
Yields: 6-8 pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup 2 Tablespoons milk
4 Tablespoons melted butter
1 egg

Directions:
1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk milk, butter, and egg together; fold into flour mixture until just combined. (lumps are encouraged)
3. Brush a large skillet with butter and heat over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cupfuls of batter and cook until bubbly on top and golden on the bottom. Flip and cook until golden on the bottom.
4. Serve with your favorite toppings and warm maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! But I have to say, my go-to pancake recipe came from your mom when she was in college and it's all I make. I make it from memory but it also resides on a stained and faded recipe card in my box. A tribute to days gone by. It's always a crowd pleaser! Your mom, my hero... In so many things including pancakes! I never could have made it without her! But maybe one day I'll try yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a fun memory! I wonder if they are still the same pancakes she makes for us kids. We would always fight over if she would make them thick or thin (with baking powder or with out. She's my hero too. I'm finding that there's not a question or a problem that she doesn't have a solution or great wisdom for.

      Delete