Thursday, June 16, 2016

how to 'properly' eat a cantaloupe

i still can remember the first time my dad showed me how to 'properly' eat a cantaloupe. he had just come home from with a cantaloupe in tow. i was very curious and watched with wide eyes as he explained it to me. it's simple. you slice the cantaloupe in half, scrape out the insides, take half of the cantaloupe, and hold it like a bowl. my dad handed me my half and gave me a spoon. i watched as he dug into his cantaloupe, enjoying the juicy fruit. i carefully did the same. it tasted so good. something about scooping the cantaloupe out of the rind was so satisfying and delicious. he explained that it is very important to consume all of  the cantaloupe, scooping as close to the rind as possible, to achieve as much satisfaction of the juicy cantaloupe as possible. this was the first of many proper cantaloupe eatings with my dad.

i had just finished a long morning of cleaning, feeling exhausted and hot. i quick stopped by the grocery store on my way home to pick up a few things. earlier i had seen a cantaloupe breakfast bowel on pinterest that had caught me eye. when i walked past the cantaloupes at the grocery store and saw that berries where on sale, i couldn't resist. i took my groceries back to my apartment and cut open my cantaloupe. i filled it with yogurt, honey, granola, and berries. i dug my spoon in and enjoyed the sweet satisfaction of scooping out my cantaloupe. i was instantly taken back to memories of sitting on the kitchen counter top with cabinets for my back rest and my dad across the room leaning against the counter top. our small talk interupted by repated,  "mmm...this is just so good," as we devoured the insides of our cantaloupe bowls.

Cantaloupe Breakfast Bowel
Yields: 2

Ingredients:
Cantaloupe
Greek plain yogurt
Honey
Granola
Berries

Directions:
1. Cut cantaloupe in half. Scoop out seeds.
2. Fill center with yogurt. Drizzle honey over yogurt. Sprinkle granola on top. Finish with berries.  



2 comments:

  1. Genius! I'll be trying this! Ask your mom about cantaloupe and lime sherbet for dessert. Better yet, ask Grammy! Love your blogs. Your favorite Aunt Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the story! It brought back fun memories to talk about! Thanks for being a faithful reader :)

      Delete